Homemade Banana Cream Pie
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 9 inch pie crust (ready made) cooked and cooled
- 4 bananas, sliced
- Combine the sugar, flour, and salt in a saucepan. Add milk in gradually while stirring gently. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is bubbly. Keep stirring and cook for about 2 more minutes, and then remove from the burner.
- Stir a small amount of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks, combine, and immediately add egg yolk mixture to the rest of the hot mixture. Cook for 2 more minutes--continuing to stir. Remove the mixture from the stove, and add butter and vanilla. Stir until the mixture has a smooth consistency.
- Slice bananas into the cooled baked pastry shell. Top with custard mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for an hour. Just before serving, cover with whipping cream and a few sliced bananas.